Where will you live while you are in Madison? There are many options:-
The University residence halls are available to international students, but they fill up very quickly and should be requested as soon as possible. There are few single rooms available, so you may share a double room with another UW student. For more details about the wide variety of campus housing available, see the University Housing website (This link will open in a new tab).
Off-Campus Housing provides a wider range of options, but it can take more work. We can help advise you on your search for suitable accommodation. Here are some choices:
Privately-Owned Apartment Rentals
- You may want to make living arrangements before you come to Madison, but it is actually better to be here and visit the apartment in person before renting and signing a lease. Rentals are plentiful and there is no need to feel rushed. For a list of off-campus rentals, see the Campus Area Housing Listing Service website (This link will open in a new tab).
- Some privately-owned residence halls offer flexible vacancies, including academic year, semester or summer leases.
- Privately-owned residence halls are dormitory-style living arrangements that are owned and operated by private companies and individuals. Some include a meal plan and others provide a full kitchen. Application procedures and lease agreements are your responsibility (but we will help you through the process).
- These are some of the most popular private dorms in Madison (each link will open in a new tab. UW-Madison is not responsible for the content of these externally-hosted sites).
- Cooperative housing in Madison is another option. Costs are around $300-400 per month for a single room with a shared bath and kitchen facilities. Each member of the household shares in housework duties, which include cooking, cleaning and serving meals. We can help you find suitable places to share.
- For information on cooperative housing, see the Madison Community Cooperative website (This link will open in a new tab. UW-Madison is not responsible for the content of this externally-hosted site).
- There are a few homestay options in Madison, which we will help you set up. See the list of homestays here (This link will open in a new tab. UW-Madison is not responsible for the content of this externally-hosted site).
- If you need a place to stay when you first arrive, the Madison Friends of International Students may be able to help. See their website for details (This link will open in a new tab. UW-Madison is not responsible for the content of this externally-hosted site).