Undergraduates: Enrollment in any one of the required certificate courses and a degree program at UW-Madison.
Download the Undergraduate TESOL application.
Undergraduate Certificate Requirements
Starting Fall 2023 academic requirements for the program are as follows:
- Complete a 15-credit program of prescribed upper-division courses, including a practicum (covered during your course work).
- Maintain a cumulative minimum GPA of 3.0 in all TESOL courses.
- Satisfactorily complete at least four college-level terms (or the equivalent, such as 4 years in high school) of a modern foreign language, including its spoken form.
- Demonstrate English proficiency of spoken and written English commensurate with the role of language model. Nonnative English speakers must have a score of at least:
- 50 on the SPEAK test or
- 26 on the iBt speaking section, with an overall score of 100 on the iBt or
- 600 on the paper version of TOEFL
- 7 on IELTS.
This certificate records a course of study at UW-Madison; it is not necessarily equivalent to professional certification by other bodies, such as the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction.
- English 314 3 cr. Structure of English
- English 318 3 cr. Second Language Acquisition
- English 415 3 cr. Introduction to TESOL Methods – must precede English 515 and 613-618
Second Language Acquisition and Teaching Courses
- English 515 3 cr. Techniques and Materials for TESOL
Students must take 3 credits of TESOL Workshops during the same semester. Each spring, 3 of the 6 one credit workshops are offered in alternate years:
- English 613 1 cr. TESOL Workshop: Pedagogical Grammar I (spring)
- English 614 1 cr. TESOL Workshop: Pedagogical Grammar II (spring)
- English 615 1 cr. TESOL Workshop: The Teaching of Listening and Speaking (spring)
- English 616 1 cr. TESOL Workshop: The Teaching of Reading (spring)
- English 617 1 cr. TESOL Workshop: The Teaching of Writing (spring)
- English 618 1 cr. TESOL Workshop: The Teaching of Pronunciation (spring)